We are grateful for our lovely followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Google Website Translator Gadget

Monday 11 October 2010

Spotlight - Fancy Folds

Welcome back to another spotlight challenge here at Crafty Cardmakers and for the next 2 weeks we're going to be looking at "Fancy Folds"  The girls have done a fantastic job as always with a wide variety and there will be links to some tutorials under the posts.

I must admit fancy folds is just not my thing and as our Julie has the job of organising us all into whether we're playing the challenge or spotlight I gave a big gulp when I saw I'd got fancy folds but I had a go and really enjoyed doing something a bit different which wasn't actually that difficult either so before you all start launching into easel cards (which ARE fancy folds) then please do have a go at those side step cards you've been meaning to try or exploding boxes which also make great gifts.

Our current challenge is still running for another week which is step away from the square so maybe you could combine the two and make a shaped fancy fold, don't forget to add to both froggies if you do :)

Our little candy prize donated by Jack is a Dover CD and book.  I'll be doing a winners catch up post tomorrow so pop back for winners of previous challenges.

Onto our spotlight on FANCY FOLDS and here's the girls creations!



I decided to have fun with this challenge. I used a card technique that I have not used before - the Diaper Fold, which can be found at Diaper Fold Pouch. This technique is very simple to do and is very versatile.

For the pouch, I used black card and also created a matching tiny card to go inside the pouch. I used paper from Magnolia to cover both the back of the pouch and the tiny card. I added a pumpkin charm and a bow to the tiny card. I also add some of the same matching ribbon to the front of the pouch. The ribbon is by papermaina. I added the boo text using a white pen, to the pouch as well as the tiny card.

I created a black bag using a template. I added the same ribbon and pumpkin charms as well the Boo text. The little boy is a cutting file from MyScrapchick and I cut it using my Craft Robo. I added some orange tissue paper, which matches the ribbon. I have placed the card inside the bag, which waiting from some pumpkin treats, that are yet to be brought!



Dee


Ok, the folds aren't super fancy but it's very elegant and not your normal card folded in half. This is a 4 1/2 by 11 card scored down the center and scored on the front panel in half and folded. Then you add your image panel matted on card stock. My image is from CopicmarkerScrapbooking.com the Oz digtal stamp set.



Oh what fun I've had with my card this week. So much so I am going to put a Tutorial on my blog so eveyone can make one. It's based on a Concertina card and is so easy. The Star is decorated with my own paper made using Azure Sea Aster Starburst Stains and clingfilm then stamped with little snowflakes and the front has a cute Penny Black Hedgehog.




This card is what I think is called a K card is simply 2 A4s folded differently (one in half and the other in 4), and using my Ultimate Pro I cut out the shape for the plaque at the front, added 2 different Kate Knight A Hint of Pink Papers from Dovecraft, and gold mirri board. I made the flower at the bottom right using the darker paper and I quite like the feathery look of the finished flower. The butterfly was made using a Sissix die and cutting a brown and a gold one bending the wings to make him look more realistic. Quite a fiddly card to make but now that I have achieved this one, I assume it will be easier next time.



For my Fancy fold card I made a birthday card for our friend Scott. A friends HUSBAND showed me how to do it as it has been demo'd on Create & Craft. You use a square of good quality paper so that it creates a kind of origami frame. You slip a piece of cardstock into it to stabilise it and then you can link them together with a card 'hinge' to make a trifold card. I experimented to make a larger version to fit the recipients name and make it a concertina type card. I also made a gift box for it as it makes the card about 5cm thick.

It's a great way to use up lots of matching papers from complimentary paper pads and really creates a card with the wow factor. I've tried to find a video on Youtube with instructions but cannot find one so I have more images on my blog of this card and will have a go at doing some step by step instructions.



I've made a zig-zag shaped card, by sticking two 5" square cards together (so the middle section has a double layer). The image is from Di's Digi Downloads, coloured with promarkers, with some added shading using koh-i-noor pencils blended with sansador. Added lots of sparkle with glamour dust, and used glossy accents on the tree baubles to make them shine. Image cut out with nestie circles and blossom dies. Papers are Dovecraft with Bazzill cardstock, ribbon from stash, snowflakes cut with a cuttlebug die and then coated with glamour dust and added card candy centres.




I'd started seeing these centre step easels around blogger but for the life of me couldn't find one when I needed to look at one so after much searching and a little help from a friend I found one on Sandy's blog, seems she had the same trouble finding one too so made her own!  Its really really easy to follow and so quick to make, Sandy's made a template you can print out or in my case I just followed the instructions which were so easy. I've used a new image by Hannah Lynn called Kathleen coloured with promarkers and sakura stardust pens.  Papers I just picked up at a show on saturday and was itching to use them, they're by Crafty Individuals.  I've used a couple of 1" square stampboard coloured with starburst stains and I've stamped a swirl from a paper artsy stamp plate.  The little pearls are hot fix and are a mother of pearl colour.


I've made this origami box as a tutorial on my blog. All the directions are there along with photos
It's made from one piece of A4 patterned card. No glue or scissors required and it can be made square too!


Hope you have as much fun with this challenge as we did!

7 comments:

  1. lovely work everyone, some really interesting things I havent seen before
    thanks so much
    Paula x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome challenge and awesome samples! thanks so much!! Blessings, Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful work DT
    thanks for the inspiration
    Paula x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous DT cards! I've entered my card above also! hugs, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. WONDERFUL projects from the DT, thanks so much for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi ladies. Lovely DT cards and glad to be joining you this week for a fab challenge.
    Tine :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the challenge. It motivated me to try the swing cards which is something new for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining in our challenges and leaving lovely comments.